Wednesday 8 February 2012

A Newbie Crocheter - big dreams, not so big skills...

From across the store I saw it.  The most exquisite bed throw I'd ever laid eyes upon.  It was done in a beautiful charcoal grey and deep violet - a combination of crochet work and fabric that was simply gorgeous.  I simply had to have it.

That is until I saw the price tag.  This masterpiece of craftsmanship was `gulp` $475.99.    Now considering the fact that this was not a coverlet, but simply an adornment to beautify the bottom of your bed was humbling enough.  But when I realised that the price was for the Twin size, well enough said.  I left the store, saddened but not deterred.

"I could make something like that", I thought to myself later over a cup of tea.  I can knit, at least your basic knit and purl.  Heck I even knitted a blanket a few years back that my cats happen to think is rather fine indeed.  Even if they have modified it in a few places.

So I bought a book, a hook, some yarn and went to town.  After practising some basic stitches, I tried a few of the projects in the book and made the typical beginner projects:  felted bag, felted hook case and cowl.

So now I'm hooked.  I was eager to try a bigger and more ambitious project and came across this:

2012 Waverly for Bernat Crochet-Along and Knit-Along

 


I was intrigued!  Each week, on the Bernat website, a clue will be given for a piece of the afghan.  You'll then have the week to work up the required number of pieces.  They will have tutorials on how to perform the stitches, and Bernat's forum has a fabulously supportive community that allows you to upload photo's, get help or advise on not just this project, but all your knitting and crochet projects. 

The actual design is a mystery, so although you'll choose colours, either on your own or with the help of the Bernat's design team's Colour Tutorial , you will only discover what the project looks like upon completion!  Super Cool!
 
Over the next weeks, I'll be sharing my progress.  All the failures, joys, tears and triumphs.  I'm a little nervous, but heck, sometimes you just gotta jump in head first.  I'd love for you to share my journey!

In fact, why not check it out...it's not too late to join in the fun.  See the above links for details.  Next time I'll post a couple of pics of colour choices as well as a couple of my completed projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment